Lightning protection masts: external protection of buildings and structures
It is an indisputable fact that lightning has always posed a threat to both human life and property. Now, as before, the danger of such a natural phenomenon is huge. It can lead to terrible consequences. Namely: grandiose destruction, large-scale fires, numerous human casualties. In addition, the situation is also complicated by the fact that now in the homes of each of us there is a huge number of different electrical appliances, and in the event of a lightning strike, it entails an overvoltage, resulting in failure of the network and unprotected electrical appliances. This leads to the failure of electrical equipment and, consequently, to material damage. That is why, if you want to protect not only your own property, but also, most importantly, yourself and your loved ones from the terrible consequences of lightning in the home or office, then you need to take care of lightning protection of buildings and structures, no matter where you are: you live in Lviv or any other city of Ukraine.
To install a lightning protection and grounding of the house, you will need a prefabricated lightning rod in the form of a mast, the height of which depends on the number of its sections. There can be a maximum five. However, not everyone knows where to buy it. And you can do it in the online store Stolb Street Light. We offer our customers several options for the height of lightning rods: from 4 to 28 meters, so each of our visitors is sure to find the right lightning protection system for any object from unforeseen lightning strikes and adverse effects.
Lightning conductor (grounding): what is it and why do you need it?
As you know, any lightning protection system (grounding) is impossible without lightning. What is it and why do you need it? Let's try to understand further. Thus, a lightning rod, also known as a lightning rod, is a special structure that rises above a building or structure and serves to protect it from atmospheric electric discharges. To date, one of the most popular types of such devices is high lightning rods. Their popularity is due to the fact that they can be mounted on both vertical (walls) and horizontal (roof, ground) surfaces. In addition, these lightning rods are able to protect the object from being struck by a direct lightning strike, taking a hit on itself, thus ensuring its safe operation in all weather conditions. They consist of the following elements:
- lightning rod: it is located at the highest point of the lightning rod and is a metal pin mounted on top of the mast. Its purpose is to simultaneously intercept and prevent lightning from hitting the roof surface and facade, as well as the area adjacent to the building;
- current collector: its role is performed by the mast, and it is needed to redirect current from the lightning rod to the ground:
- grounding conductor: it serves to divert charge to ground;
- ground circuit: these are metal rods immersed in the ground, which neutralize the lightning discharge.
As a lightning rod, you can use one very high mast, and several lower, placing them on different sides of the building. In addition, you can also make a cable lightning rod (grounding), stretching between two masts of wire or cable. All these options can be considered when planning the system of external lightning protection of the house. However, at the stage of individual design, it is important not to forget to take into account the features of the structure, which requires lightning protection.
We choose a lightning rod: what to pay special attention to?
So we've found that lightning rods are an integral part of any lightning protection system. Therefore, in the process of its design, pay special attention to this device. If you decide to mount a lightning rod (grounding) in the form of a mast, then choosing it, pay attention to the following parameters:
- to the height of the support: the larger it is, the better the lightning protection will work. In addition, the radius of protection of the territory adjacent to the building directly depends on the height of the mast you have chosen;
- on the sizes of a basic flange and its intercenter distances: these parameters should be considered in the course of a lightning rod choice, after all depending on them the base with a mortgage detail which will provide stability of a design is selected. For example, a support flange for a lightning rod, the height of which is 10 meters, should have a size of 230 mm. Whereas for a 15-meter lightning rod (grounding) it is necessary to choose a flange with a size of 270 mm. And the device 25 meters high is fixed by a flange which size is equal to 500 mm.
So, if you still do not know where in Kiev or other cities of Ukraine to buy a mast for mounting an external lightning protection system, you should do it in the online store Stolb Street Light. After all, we have not only a large selection of such structures, but also reasonable prices for them.