The flagpole is used for marketing purposes and aims to attract the attention of customers and visitors through advertising or company symbols placed on it. That is, this construction is a business card of the company and is an integral part of the architecture and attributes of the establishment. Therefore, the main requirements for this design are:
- high-quality appearance;
- mechanical stability;
- ease of installation;
- no operating spendings in the future.
These properties are best combined in a composite material that allows you to create a flagpole with the best technical and economic indicators: high mechanical and corrosion resistance, long service life, convenient installation with no use of special equipment and affordable price.
Manufacturing technology and characteristics of composite flagpole
The technology of making a composite flagpole is a method of contact formation from the fiberglass plates and binding material - polyester resins, on the outer surface of which a special protective gel-based coating is applied which provides protection from the effects of environment and other aggressive factors. This construction, judging by its structural strength and endurance is equivalent to a flagpole made of steel and at the same time has a number of characteristics that surpasses flagpoles made of hot-dip galvanized steel, as shown in the table below.
|Parameter||Fiberglass composite flagpole||Flagpole made of galvanized steel|
|Specific weight||1,8 kg/m3||7,8 kg/m3|
|Service life||> 50 years||> 15 years|
|Warranty period from the manufacturer||
25 years on the flagpole
and 5 years for components
|Operating temperature||-50 °C ... +100 °C||-40 °C ... +120 °C|
|Thermal conductivity||0,33 W/(К*m)||52 W/(К*m)|
|Strength (endurance)||High (flag area up to 12 m2)||The highest (flag area up to 20 m2)|
|Resistance to stray current||Dielectric||Conductor|
Resistance against strong aggressive chemicals
As can be seen, the reduced specific weight greatly simplifies delivery and provides ease of installation, as two people are enough to install a composite flagpole. Everything you need for the installation of a composite flagpole is included, whereas for a galvanized or aluminum flagpole it is necessary to order a separate anchor unit (embedded parts in concrete) and use special equipment for its installation.
The 25-year warranty on the fiberglass flagpole means that during all this time the flagpole will not lose its properties and will not require maintenance, since the gel-based coating, the use of high-quality paints and modern equipment for its application provides solid and qualitative appearance and resistance to deterioration caused by time (no cracking of paint and protective coating). Unlike galvanized flagpoles, where heedless handling during installation and operation leads to scratches, which then causes corrosion processes and loss of acceptable appearance and subsequent mechanical resistance, which creates the need to protect these areas or the entire flagpole, which means the application of protective coatings based on cold zinc or paints throughout the period of exploitation. Consequently, composite material is much more durable than steel and there is no need for maintenance (no operating costs) in the future.
In view of the fact that the composite is a dielectric and is extremely resistant to aggressive substances, it can be used in enterprises whose technological process involves the existence of these chemicals in the enterprise territories, or in the operational processes of which there is a possibility of nascence of stray currents around the object that can lead to electrochemical corrosion.
High mechanical stability: during operation, the fiberglass flagpole is not deformable and can be compared to steel in terms of level of strength, but the light weight of composite flagpoles compared to metal is a determinative factor.
Technical characteristics of a composite flagpole
- The flagpole can be accessible with height: 6m, 7m, 8m, 9m, 10m, 11m, 12m.
- During manufacturing, the flagpole can be covered by any color according to the RAL palette (flagpoles in white color are mostly always in stock).
- The design of a flagpole can have four different options: standard-lock, standard-winch, banner-bar, flagpoles banner-elevator flagpoles.
- Standard-lock flagpole. In this configuration, the cord for lifting and fixing the flag is inside the flagpole, access to which is located in the niche of the flagpole at a height of 1.2 m and is closed on a lock (anti-vandal system). This type of flagpole can be used for both horizontal and vertical flags. Complete set of a standard lock type of flagpole (see fig. 1) includes: a mast of a flagpole, anchor nips (reinforcement unit), the fastening mechanism with the lock (a clamp of a cord), a mobile socle on the closed bearings (protects the top knot), a cord, a loader for a flag (for the correct tension of the flag), the decorative tip of the mast.
Fig. 1 - Standard-lock flagpole
- Standard-winch flagpole. In this configuration, the cord for lifting and fixing the flag is inside the flagpole and it has a special internal mechanism with a handle that can be removed after lifting or lowering the flag. This type of flagpole can be used for both horizontal and vertical flags. Complete set of a standard-winch type of flagpole consists of (see fig. 2): a flagpole mast, anchor nips (reinforcement unit)), a cord, lifting system with the handle, a loader for a flag (for the correct tension of a flag), a decorative tip of a mast.
Fig. 2 - Standard-winch flagpole
- Banner-bar flagpole. A significant difference of this flagpole over the previous ones is the presence of a crossbar that rotates 360 degrees and keeps the flag in an unfolded form even in windless weather. In this configuration, to change the flag or to remove it, you need to tilt the flagpole and replace the flag on the ground (special design of the anchor unit in this version, as well as in previous ones, provides the possibility of tilting the flagpoles due to a special hinge mechanism). Complete set of a banner-bar flagpole includes the following (see fig. 3): a flagpole mast, anchor pins (reinforcement basket), a crossbar, a loader for a flag (for the correct tension of a flag), a decorative tip of a mast.
Fig. 3 - Banner-bar flagpole
- Banner-lift flagpole. This configuration of the flagpole, like the version of the banner-bar flagpole, has a crossbar, but the lifting and lowering of the flag is carried out with the help of the cord, which is placed outside the flagpole, the end of which is fixed to the bollard. There is also a possible version with a cord inside the mast, and the opening lid is closed with a key, or a version with a winch and a lifting mechanism with a handle. Complete set of a banner-lift flagpole includes the following (see fig. 4): flagpole mast, anchor nips (reinforcement unit), crossbar, flag loader (for correct flag tension), decorative mast tip, cord, bollard.
Fig. 4 - Banner-lift flagpole